On your camping trip, a lot of things can go wrong. But mechanical and electrical problems are one of the greatest campers’ nightmares. For instance, imagine you are out camping and all your electrical appliances are blown up by lightning, devastating, right? Having an RV surge protector will protect all your electrical appliances from such threats. This article will provide you with all the necessary info you require in choosing the best RV voltage regulator and surge protector.
||Progressive Industries RV Surge & Electrical Protector||9.9|
|TRC Surge Portable Surge Protector||9.1|
|Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector||9.5|
|Hughes Autoformer PWD30 Power Surge Protector||9.4|
||Surge Guard Portable LCD Display Protector||9.9|
||Technology Research Portable Surge Protector||9.0|
|Hughes Autoformer PWD50 Power AMP Surge Protector||9.2|
||Parkpower By Marinco Rv Surge Protector||9.3|
- Is RV surge protector necessary? Do I need a surge protector for my RV?
- Types of RV protectors
- What to look for when buying an RV surge protector?
- Top 8 RV Surge & Electrical guards 2021
- Progressive Industries 30 Amp Hardwired RV Electrical Management System Surge Protector With Remote Display (1 MIN), EMS-HW30C (Automotive)
- Surge Guard 34830 Portable Model with LCD Display – 30 Amp (Automotive)
- Surge Guard 44270 Entry Level Portable Surge Protector – 50 Amp (Automotive)
- Parkpower By Marinco – Drop Ship Smart Rv Surge Protector, 30-Amp
Is RV surge protector necessary? Do I need a surge protector for my RV?
If you are asking yourself these questions, then, read on. Here are some of its advantages.
- Guard your electric devices such as laptops, TVs, and air conditioner from electric surges.
- Extends the life of your appliances by protecting them from the effects of high and low voltages.
- It is cheaper than replacing electrical appliances in your RV.
- Gives the convenience of not having to change blown fuses and switches from time to time.
- Guaranteed safety from fires from repeated surges.
- It will protect you from the dangers of your own errors. There are those guards which notify you in the event there are shorts from loose wires or reverse connections
Types of RV protectors
This one is built into your power system. The advantage of this type is that most have a bigger capacity compared to other types of protector. On the flip side, in case the protector melts or burns out, you will not have power in the RV until you replace your surge guard.
2. Portable (or plug-in surge protector)
Unlike the hardwire surge protector, this one can easily be plugged in or plugged out and is very easy to replace however they can easily be stolen or you can forget to carry them during your camping trip.
What to look for when buying an RV surge protector?
Amp is the quantity of electricity present in an electrical current. Ensure that the amp rating of the surge you purchase is compatible with that of your RV. A 30 amp guard is made for a 30 Amp 120-volt outlet while a 50 Amp is designed for a 50 Amp 240-volt outlet. Note that a poor choice of an RV surge guard increases the risks of overheating and fires.
This is the level of protection you get whenever there is a surge. If a surge guard has a high joule rating, it means it can withstand a high amount of electricity. A good surge protector should protect you against power surges, low voltage, miswiring, and improper grounding. The most important aspect of the protector should be how fast the surge protector cuts off electricity supply in case there is a danger. If your main concern is protection against lightning or protection for sensitive electronic devices, then a surge with high joules rating would be the most ideal choice for you.
Look for a guard with a display that is easy to read and understand. A well-elaborated surge will enable you to easily detect any issue that may arise. Most of them will include flashing lights and indicators to alert you when a problem arises.
Electricity is nothing to mess around with. Go for a surge guard that has a simple and easy to understand installation instruction menu.
Some high-end surge protectors include a power management system that will shut the whole system for you should there be a problem.
Very heavy surge protectors will slow your RV down or, it may not fit in your utility closet.
If you are on working within a tight budget, go for a guard with just the basic features that you need. But, if the price is not a constraint, go for quality, and convenient one with all the protection features possible
Some fans in certain models produce more noise than others. Also, some models have flashing lights and loud alarms. If noise is an issue for you, go for ones that have padded feet and with less noisy alarms.
Here is an RV surge protector reviews section of the best RV surge protectors.
Top 8 RV Surge & Electrical guards 2021
1. Progressive Industries RV Surge & Electrical Protector
This electric management system comes with a rating of 30 Amps/120 V/3600 W and has a lifetime warranty. One outstanding feature of this EMS is its temperature range. It can operate within a range of -40°C to 105°C. This means it will work perfectly fine even in adverse weather conditions. Additionally, this protector offers open ground, open neutral, and reverse polarity detection and protection, over/under voltage protection, and A/C frequency protection. On top of that, it has an indicator to show miswired pedestal and surge failure.
- Easy installation instructions and photos included
- Built-in thermal protection
- Has a digital display to show power source information
- Lifetime warranty
- The display has constant bright red LEDs which can be bothersome especially at night.
2. TRC Surge Portable Surge Protector
Adding to our list is yet another 30 Amp RV power surge and electrical protector. This 2100 joules guard analyzes the polarity to detect any irregularities that may be hazardous to you and your RV. Once a threat is detected this surge protector will notify you through flashing lights.
An outstanding feature of this surge guard is that, on top of protection against power surges, it also has a lock. You can camp with no worry of the surge being stolen.
- Weather resistant
- Has indicators to notify power status
- Notification lights are not very bright so one can easily miss out on a notification of a possible surge.
3. Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector
Another one from progressive industries is this 50 Amp smart protector. This one is set to fit several RV makes and models. Thus, before any purchase, ensure that you contact the seller to find out if it is compatible with your make. A top reason why many people prefer this RV electrical surge protector is due to its portability and lightweight.
- Easily portable
- Weather resistant
- It alerts you in case there is a problem with your current supply
- Does not protect against low voltage
4. Hughes Autoformer PWD30 Power Surge Protector
As the name suggests, this is a power watchdog indeed. The 30 Amp surge guard comes with 2400 joules surge protection which is replaceable. A top selling feature of this RV surge protector
is that you can monitor the device via Bluetooth, iPhone or Android apps. Also, it is very lightweight, 2.81 pounds, with easy-grip handles for a firm grip while carrying it.
- Made of heavy duty makes it durable
- Has Bluetooth monitoring feature
- Has Android and iOs app
- Analyzes power line, neutral and ground for power mishaps
- Short Bluetooth range
5. Surge Guard Portable LCD Display Protector
This portable RV surge protector 30 Amp model comes with a display that shows the exact readings of electricity being used. Unlike most RV power surge protector, this one has a built-in negligence feature and an automatic reset on power restoration.
Other noticeable features include continuous monitoring of voltage, amp draw, campground wiring, and reverse polarity. Also, you need not worry about its size since it fits perfectly in all kinds of RVs.
- Shuts down power in case of a power surge
- Automatically reconnects when power is fixed
The surge protector might be too long for some
6. Technology Research Portable Surge Protector
Unlike the Surge Guard 34830 this RV surge protector 50 Amp offers a whopping 4200 joules of surge protection. It will analyze the circuits to verify pedestal power and identify any faulty power. Also, there is a status indicator which lights up to show the power status. Other features that are similar to the 34830 model are the tests for open ground, open neutral and correct polarity.
- Very light for easy portability
- Has a light indicator that lets you know in case there is a problem.
- Easy to set up
- No way to seal the bottom connection
7. Hughes Autoformer PWD50 Power AMP Surge Protector
Except for a few features, this model is very similar to the Watch Dog 30 Amps surge protector. It comes with 50 Amps portable surge protection of replaceable surge protection. Additionally, there is a Bluetooth monitoring and communication feature through Android and iOS apps.
It boasts of other properties such as its lightweight, easy hold handles, and diagnostic ability to detect any problem with the power line, neutral, and ground.
- Notification lights are easy to understand
- Plugs in easily
- Bluetooth monitoring ability
- Not waterproof
- Short Bluetooth range
8. Parkpower By Marinco Rv Surge Protector
The last entry on our RV surge protector comparison is the 120 V, 30 Amp Parkpower By Marinco surge protector. Compared to other guards on our list, this one is relatively small since it provides 3-mode, 825 joules protection and has a rating of 22500 Amp surge current. Have a look at this RV surge protector pros and cons.
- Monitors correct wiring,
- Easy to use
- Indicators are easy to understand
Do you want a protector to notify you of a surge or do you want a complete power management system that will cut off the power supply whenever there is a surge? Knowing exactly what you want will save you the disappointments of realizing that what you purchased is not what you wanted. We hope this article helps you in making a perfect choice.