Drinking clean great-tasting water may sound like a normal thing until you are outdoors and you realize that the water outside is not as clean and tasty as the one you are used to. Regardless of your location, your body needs about 2.4 liters of water every day to function properly. When you have finished your bottled water and are far from safe drinking water, water filtration for RV comes in handy.
||Clearsource Premium RV Water Filter System||9.9|
||Camco EVO Premium RV & Marine Water Filter||9.0|
||Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill||9.5|
||Beech Lane External RV Dual Water Filter System||9.2|
||Culligan RV-800 Pre-Tank Recreational Vehicle Water Filter||9.0|
||Ecosoft 3 Stage Under Sink Water Purifier Filtration System||9.7|
- Why do you need RV water filters?
- Types of water filters systems for RV
- Buying a water filtering system for your RV? Consider these
- Best RV Water Filtration Systems 2022
- Clearsource Premier RV Water Filter System – Protects Against Contaminants & Bacteria
- Camco EVO Premium Water Filter for RVs, White (40631) (Automotive)
- Essential RV Water Filter System with Hose Fittings – Premium RV Water Filtration System with Cyst Removal
- Beech Lane External RV Dual Water Filter System, Leak-Free Brass Fittings, Mounting Bracket and Two Filters Included, Sturdy Construction is Built to Last
- Culligan RV-800 Exterior Pre-Tank Recreational Vehicle Water Filter with Hose (Automotive)
- Ecosoft 3-Stage Under Sink High Capacity Tankless Drinking Water Filtration System-Includes Sediment 2X CTO Carbon Block Filters with Kitchen Faucet
Why do you need RV water filters?
We all have a reason to be concerned about the water we drink. No one is immune to contaminants in water and you can never be too sure about your water sources wherever you go like you are about your drinking water at home. Water is bound to have contaminants like pesticides, chlorine and chlorine by-products, aluminum, ammonia, copper, lead, silver, bacteria, viruses, and others. This is why an RV filter is one of the most important tools you can have as you travel.
Filters eliminate such contaminants from water, leaving us with clean and safe for drinking. Filtering also removes odor, bad flavor, and turbidity from water so that your water can taste great and have no smell as you drink.
Types of water filters systems for RV
Water filter systems are different from water filters. Filters are a component of the entire system. Here we highlight different types of water filter systems. Remember, it is possible to use a combination of filters in one system.
An inline water filter system
RV inline water filters, just as their name indicates, are installed directly on the RVs water-source. They filter out sediments while also eliminating bad flavor and odor in water.
Reverse osmosis water filter system
The reverse osmosis system is, apparently, the most expensive yet the most effective water filtering systems. However, bottled water remains the most expensive and perhaps environmentally unfriendly source of drinking water.
This system uses a semipermeable membrane to filter out any contaminant particles larger than water molecules. The pressure is used to force water through this membrane eliminating almost all contaminants to leave your water pure. While it may not filter out chlorine, a reverse osmosis system integrated with a carbon filter will do this quite well.
Canister water filter system
This is the most common and the best water filtration for RV. a filter is placed inside a plastic housing. Water is pushed through the canister to another or to its exit (if it is a single-canister system) using a pump.
Generally, these systems are less expensive compared to the reverse osmosis types. This is because it is only the cartridge that needs replacement when worn out. There are three main types of canister water filter systems available in different sizes:
- The single canister system. Uses one filter to filter your water. The filter may come with a combination of cartridges for effective filtering.
- Double canister system. Typically has a sediment filter as the first-stage filtering and a carbon filter in the second and final stage filtering.
- Triple canister system. This system is more like the double canister system in its first and second filtration stages but with an additional special filter for its last stage.
Some advantages with this type of water filters are that they are customizable because you get to choose the filters to put in them, they are durable, and offer excellent flow rate.
Buying a water filtering system for your RV? Consider these
Apart from the type of water filter systems highlighted above, here are the factors you need to consider when buying a water filter system for your RV.
Type of filters. There are different types of filters from the most basic sediment filter which filters out particles, carbon filter which filters out chlorine, metals, chemicals, and other contaminants for better-tasting water, and ceramic filters which eliminate bacteria like cryptosporidium, and giardia as well as viruses and other microbes. There are different types of carbon filters to suit different situations including
- Granular activated carbon (GAC) filter
- Solid block carbon (SBC) filter
- Modified carbon block (MBC) filter
The amount of water you intend to filter. Get a filter that matches the quantity of water you intend to filter. You may want to filter all or some of the water. This depends on the state of the water. If you expect the water to have a lot of dirt or sediment, consider filtering all the water. This will require not only carbon filter but also sediment filter to eliminate both sediments and chemicals in the water.
Filter size. The size of the filter you purchase will determine the amount of water you can filter. While the larger filters will filter out water fast, they are bulky, heavy and will require considerable storage space.
Micron rating. Some sediment filters are rated 5.0 microns to filter out larger particulates. Others are rated 1.0 microns while still others are rated 0.5 microns. A lower micron rating means that a filter will eliminate the finest contaminants in water.
Best RV Water Filtration Systems 2022
Considering the above factors takes you a step ahead in making your selection. However, it may still take you time sorting through the number of water filters available in the market. This is why we took the time to research some of the best RV water filtration systems. Check out what we came up with.
1. Clearsource Premium RV Water Filter System
The Premium water filtering system by Clearsource is a good bet if you are considering durability and efficacy. The two-stage filtering system is something to think about, particularly if you are not too sure about the kind of water you will find in your destination. The first stage features a 5.0-micron sediment filter which eliminates just that, sediments and other such-like particles. The second stage is the 0.5-micron filter featuring a coconut shell carbon block filter. It takes care of any pesticides, chlorine, giardia, cryptosporidium, and other deposits in the water. It is also the stage that improves the taste and smell in water making it not just safe for drinking but also great-tasting.
This system features a sturdy powder-coated metal chassis which holds the 2.5 x 10 inches canisters, stainless steel fittings, and buttress threading secured with o-rings that seal the filters tightly to the canisters to guarantee not just durability but also easy installation and safe operation because the fittings do not rust. Well, if you are in for the premium features, you’re in for the price.
- Two-stage filtering eliminates most contaminants to give you safe drinking water
- With large canisters allow for a good flow of water
- Solid construction
- The cartridge does not filter out lead
- It is bulky hence requires large storage space
2. Camco EVO Premium RV & Marine Water Filter
Camco’s EVO premium is a single-stage water filter system that surprisingly filters out most contaminants in water including sediments, chlorine, bacteria, and others. It is also built to eliminate bad odor and a bad taste in water to allow you to have safe great-tasting water wherever you go. This 5.0-micron water filtering system integrates the KDF mechanism which prevents bacteria from growing in the filter when it is not being used.
If you are looking for something a little less bulky but functional, this is it. But an advantage we cannot overlook is the fact that it connects to the standard hose whether from the tap or your RV. Its package includes a filter housing, an extension hose, and a polypropylene filter cartridge.
- Eliminates metals, chemicals, bad-odor, sediments, and turbidity from water
- KDF function prevents fungus, bacteria, and mold from growing in the filter hence keeping it clean and safe for the next use
- Easy to install
- The hose in its package is a worthwhile plus but for some a little too short
3. Essential RV Water Filter System with Hose Fittings
The Essential water filter by RV Water Filter Store is an excellent option if you are going to a destination with rivers, streams, lakes, or other sources of water bound to have cysts or other contaminants. This water filter system features a combination of 1-micron RV SED1 and 0.5-micron FIPB filters to filter out sediment, chemicals, cysts, chlorine, as well as eliminating bad taste and odor in water.
This system is built to one of the best quality. It includes filter housings with durable hose fittings made of brass along with a mounting bracket secure it when in use. The bracket gives you some flexibility to mount your system on the bay wall, hang it from the slide, place it on the ground, or inside a container. Best for use in an RV, boat, houseboat, or tiny home. Its package includes two 1-micron sediment filters, one 0.5-micron carbon block filter, a mounting bracket, hose fittings, and a 360° canister wrench. It is ready to use right out of the box and requires no assembly.
- Lead-free hose fittings
- 1-micron sediment and 0.5-micron carbon block filters to eliminate most contaminants in the water
- Tips off when placed on a surface or the ground without a base
4. Beech Lane External RV Dual Water Filter System
This External RV water filter system by Beech Lane is an indication that this company takes customer interest at heart. It presents a good option if you are looking for something a little lightweight but functional and durable in design. Built to last, this system is made up of solid polymer canisters fitted with lead-free brass components measuring ¾ inches in diameter, along with a mountable bracket to help you position it conveniently during use.
Back to the brass components, you want components that will fit tightly on the hose without leaking. The ¾ inches fittings measure almost equally with the hose to provide a leak-free flow of water. Further, the threaded design on these components leaves you with a secure leakless seal. This water filter system uses 2.5 x 10 inches two water filters, a 5-micron polypropylene filter to eliminate sediments and a 0.5-micron carbon block filter to remove chlorine, bacteria, metals, and others leaving you with better-tasting odorless water that is safe to drink. Never mind, you will not hassle finding a replacement because universal filters can be used in their place. The package includes a canister wrench to help you remove the housing easily when replacing your filters.
- Double filtration eliminates both large and micro-particles leaving your water clean and safe to drink
- Can be replaced with universal filters
- Easy installation
- Check the mounting bracket. If you find it a little flimsy you can replace it with a better one
5. Culligan RV-800 Pre-Tank Recreational Vehicle Water Filter
Culligan’s RV-800 model is among the best water filtration systems for RV and one to look out for. Coming with a surprisingly solid construction despite its small compact size, this water filter system will give you a good number of years of useful service. This system works with ¾ inches hose fittings. Featuring the impressive KDF bacteriostatic filter element, this filter effectively prevents bacterial growth in the system, especially when not in use. Besides this, the RV-800 system comes with a granular activated carbon filter to filter out sediments, chlorine, and other substances from water and eliminate bad taste, odor, and turbidity. This unit’s filter cartridge is rated to filter up to 2,000 gallons of water before needing replacement. Its package includes a 12 inches hose,
- Features KDF feature that prevents the growth of bacteria and mold in the system
- Impressive cartridge life although this will depend on water quality
- A slim design makes it portable
- The simple design allows for easy installation on the exterior of the RV
- Its flow rate is rather slow compared to others in its category
6. Ecosoft 3 Stage Under Sink Water Purifier Filtration System
The Ecosoft filtering system is quite a unique model with three stages of water filtration. It features both water purification and filtration functions which makes it a versatile unit for home use. The three polypropylene filters include a 5-micron polypropylene filter which removes sediments such as dust, silt, and rust; Ecomix D37 filter which removes organochlorine and chlorination by-products, salinity, lead, iron, manganese, and tannin; and the activated carbon block filter which eliminates finer contaminants including bad odors and flavors and purifies the water at the same time. It is one of the few filters that stop lime from forming on your electric kettle and other equipment by lowering the concentration of salts and metals which harden water. Its housing is made of premium quality plastic with the canisters each having an anti-slip base to keep them stable on the ground. The cartridges might need replacement twice a year depending on the quality of water that they filter.
- Water filter and purifier in one unit
- The three-stage filtering process removes most contaminants
- Prevents lime from forming on your water equipment
- Quite complicated installation process
The right water filter system will not just meet your needs, it should also be within your ability to install and replace its filters when the need arises. Knowing the state of the water in your destination will also help you choose a filtering system. Do not shy away from purifying water if this will help you have access to clean safe drinking water. This is the main reason you are investing in filters anyway. Finally, take your time to go through RV water filtration system reviews as they give you a clearer picture of the actual performance of the systems you intend to purchase.