Whether going out for vacation or picnic, spending all day in the beach or a camping trip through the wilderness, you’d want to bring essential stuff along with you on the trip. It’s pretty hard to bring everything with you and just make it all fit in your car together with you, especially if you have companions along, as most cars just have small cargos that won’t be able to handle big and bulky things. Because of this common traveling dilemma, people have figured out a way to travel with ease while bringing their bulky things at the same time.
While some car trunks are enough to fit in some stuff, the roof of the car can be transformed into a second trunk as it can be more spacious as the original trunk itself. With the great space advantage that the rooftop has, this instantly becomes the perfect place to put the huge and bulky things to avoid it from getting in the way inside the car. There’s only one more thing that that’s needed to make this way more effective to handle the big amount of baggage. This is where a rooftop cargo bag gets in the setup.
||Keeper 07203-1 Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Bag||8.5|
||SHIELD JACKET Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Luggage Travel Bag||8.9|
||Reese Explore 1041100 Rainproof Car Top Carrier||9.3|
||Waterproof Canvas Cargo Storage by Vault||9.4|
||Keeper 07204 Black Premium Waterproof Cargo Bag||9.0|
||G4Free Car Top Carrier||8.7|
||Rightline Gear 100S20 Sport 2 Car Top Carrier||9.3|
||RoofPax Car Roof Bag & Rooftop Cargo Carrier||9.5|
||Rightline Gear Car Top Duffle Bag||9.9|
||Whistler Car Roof Top Cargo Bag||9.2|
||Rabbitgoo Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag||9.1|
||Car Top Car Carrier Roof Bag||9.6|
Rooftop cargo bags also called in different names including roof rack cargo bag, and a rooftop cargo carrier bag, are specifically designed to carry any belonging (especially bulky stuff) and keep it safely stored on the spacious room given by the car rooftop. Although many argue about this way regarding the loss of fuel while traveling with heavy stuff on the roof, modern vehicle designs keep things still.
Rooftop cargo carrier bags come in different styles and size that suit the bag required and the car design that it will be attached to. Vehicles go with or without roof racks installed and certain bags are designed such that a roof bag can be used even if the car has no rack to set it up on. These bags also have different types in terms of weather protection; Water Resistant, Weatherproof, and Waterproof. This help users travel with convenience and confidence that their stuff won’t be affected by any weather that gets in their way while traveling.
- Buying Guide
- 12 Best Rooftop Cargo Bags 2020
- Keeper 07203-1 Waterproof Roof Top Cargo Bag (15 Cubic Feet) (Automotive)
- SHIELD JACKET Waterproof Roof Top Cargo Luggage Travel Bag (15 Cubic Feet) – Roof Top Cargo Carrier for Cars, Vans and SUVs – Great for Travel or Off-Roading – Double Vinyl Construction, Easy to Use
- Reese Explore 1041100 Rainproof Car Top Carrier (15 Cubic Feet) (Automotive)
- Roof Rack Cargo Carrier Storage Roof Bag by Vault Cargo – On top of Car Bag – Straps to Crossbars or a Roof Basket – Waterproof Carrier Bag Has 15 Cubic Feet of Capacity – Fit for the Outdoor Elements (Automotive)
- KEEPER 07204 Black Premium Waterproof Cargo Bag (15 Cubic Feet) (Automotive)
- G4Free 15.7 Cubic Feet Waterproof Car Top Carrier, Easy to Install Soft Roof Bag Cargo Bag with Wide Straps-Works with or Without Roof Rack
- Rightline Gear Sport 2 Car Top Carrier, 15 cu ft, 100% Waterproof, Attaches With or Without Roof Rack (Automotive)
- RoofPax Car Roof Bag & Rooftop Cargo Carrier. 19 Cubic Feet. 100% Waterproof Excellent Military Quality Car Top Carrier. Heavy Duty RoofBag. Fits All Vehicle With/Without Rack. 4+2 Door Hooks Included
- Rightline Gear 100D90 Car Top Duffle Bag, Gray, 100% Waterproof, Transport Cargo On or In Your Vehicle (Automotive)
- Whistler Car Roof Bag Bundle – 100% Waterproof Roof Top Cargo Carrier Bag NO Rack Needed + Non Slip Roof Mat, for Any Car Van or SUV (15 Cubic Feet) (Automotive)
- WEIPA Rooftop Cargo Carrier Car Roof Cargo Bag Easy to Install Straps – Waterproof Soft Shell Luggage Rack Bag on Car Topper 15 Cubic Feet
- Car Top Carrier Roof Bag | 15 or 20 Cubic ft + Protective Mat – for Cars with or Without Racks – Car Rack System Rack Adapter
When buying a rooftop cargo carrier bag, you want to make sure that you choose the best one. However, in today’s market, a lot of these bags are sold from different brands with varied features and styles, making it quite hard to immediately know which is which. To help you more with purchasing a rooftop cargo bag below is a small guide for you to know.
You should determine the size of the cargo bag that will fit on your car’s roof. You can do so by measuring the size of the space available on your car’s roof then compare it to the bags of your choice.
Roof rack cargo bags can be installed on the distance between the rails of the car that has roof racks. For cars with no racks, roof bags can be installed on the flattest portion of the roof.
Determine the bag size that is required for the number of things you’re putting in it. Knowing the weight capacity of your roof bag can increase the convenience you’ll get while traveling with it as you’ll know how much to include in it or how heavy it should be to make it stable while on top.
Be aware of the weather protection feature that the bag has. Basically, the higher the level of weather protection it has, the higher the price of the bag has.
A cargo carrier bag with waterproof properties is made with a waterproof material with welded seams and Velcro zipper flap with a urethane coated zipper. A weatherproof cargo bag is made of the same material with the waterproof bag, with welded seams. It also has Velcro zipper flap with a regular zipper, in which water can go through. A water-resistant bag is also made of waterproof material with sewn seams and a Velcro or Non-Velcro zipper flap. It also comes with a regular zipper.
12 Best Rooftop Cargo Bags 2020
In this section, roof bag reviews are made to guide and help you more with the rooftop cargo bags available in the market today, aside from the well-known Thule cargo bags. Here’s the list of the 7 top choices of the best rooftop cargo bags:
1. Keeper 07203-1 Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Bag
This waterproof rooftop cargo bag assures you that your things are protected from the unpredictable weather while on the road. With its 44″ x 34″ x 17″ overall size, it’s specifically designed such that it fits on the roof racks of the car with its four-side attachment capabilities. The bag comes with the heavy-duty construction of rubber laminated nylon that can handle bulky items, with the help of its soft-sided design. The Keeper waterproof carrier bag can be folded up in small storage size for later use and can be attached to and removed from the car’s roof with ease.
- The bag has an overall size of 44″ x 34″ x 17″
- Its soft side design helps fit bulky items
- The waterproof cargo bag protects the belongings from the sun, rain, and wind
- The product is designed such that it can fit all roof racks with four-side attachment capabilities
- It greatly increases the car’s cargo space
- The bag’s waterproof feature isn’t strong enough to withstand heavy rains
- The buckles that come with the product would have been better if it were made of metal and not plastic
- During strong travel conditions, the bag might break easily or develop small rips or holes
2. SHIELD JACKET Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Luggage Travel Bag
Shield Jacket’s waterproof rooftop cargo bag features a spacious storage room for your belongings, providing 15 cubic feet of safe storage during trips, long or short. This waterproof bag is best used in cars or vans with roof rack installed. It’s completely weatherproof with its welded seam and heavy-duty construction, providing luggage protection against rain, snow, sun, and wind. The bag is designed to have 8 built-in tie straps for easier installation. The bag can conveniently hold big and bulky belongings with its overall size of 43″ x 34″ x 17″ and soft-sided design. When not in use, the bag can be folded and stored anywhere.
- The bag offers a spacious room for belongings storage during trips
- It is made with quality materials, providing weatherproof protection while traveling
- Foldable design so you can store it anywhere when not in use
- It comes with 8 straps to provide easy installation
- The product is a bit inexpensive
- With extreme travel conditions, the bag might have small tears or holes. In addition, the strap might break off easily
- During heavy rains, water might go through the zippers.
3. Reese Explore 1041100 Rainproof Car Top Carrier
Reese Explore’s car top carrier is specifically designed to store your belongings safe while traveling. It fits all vehicles with installed roof racks so you won’t have to worry if it will fit on your car, as long as it has roof racks. The ease of attaching the bag to the car’s roof is provided as it comes with securing straps. The bag is rainproof and will greatly protect your stuff from the unpredictable weather, especially rain, which might get in your way when on the road.
- Easy roof installation with straps
- The bag can fit on all vehicles with roof racks
- Added luggage protection as it’s rain proof.
- During heavy rain, water might get through the zipper
- Small holes might develop from certain traveling conditions
- It’s hard to mount and shape while packing.
4. Waterproof Canvas Cargo Storage by Vault
This cargo bag provides additional cargo storage when traveling. It comes with a ratchet or lashing straps used to attach it to the car’s roof. The bag is constructed of heavy-duty canvas that helps for the protection of the luggage. For additional safety, use the roof bag’s protective mat and strap.
- This rooftop cargo bag has 15 cubic feet of capacity
- The bag is made of canvas for additional traveling protection
- The straps make it easy to attach the bag to the car’s roof
- The product increases the storage of the car
- The word “Waterproof” on its name doesn’t really mean the bag is waterproof
5. Keeper 07204 Black Premium Waterproof Cargo Bag
Keeper’s premium waterproof cargo bag features 15 cubic feet of space, providing additional storage for your big and bulky luggage. Its waterproof design protects your belongings from sun, wind, rain, and grit, during long or short travels. The bag’s soft-sided design fit odd-shaped stuff conveniently. The bag can be folded for storage and later use.
- The waterproof cargo bag offers additional space for essential belongings.
- The product is designed to provide protection on your luggage while on the road.
- The bag has an overall size of 44″ x 37″ x 17″.
- It can be folded for easier storage when not in use.
- Heavy rain might get water through its zipper.
- It might develop small rips during certain traveling conditions.
6. G4Free Car Top Carrier
This extra large waterproof cargo carrier bag has an overall size of 55″ x 37″ x 15.8″, providing protection against unpredictable weather conditions during road trips. The bag comes with seatbelt-style straps that are 3000 lbs strong that are designed to secure the cargo bag on your vehicle, even without a roof rack installed.
- The extra large waterproof cargo carrier provides protection against weather, especially the rain
- It comes with strong straps that secure your luggage
- The materials used in this bag are polyester fabrics with waterproof PVC coating and 8 Velcro zipper flaps
- The seams get rips easily
- The flap and the zipper might break easily
7. Rightline Gear 100S20 Sport 2 Car Top Carrier
This waterproof carrier is constructed from PVC semi-coated mesh and Hydrotuff Material that are sewn and welded together to provide water resistance. The urethane-coated zipper also keeps the water out. The bag is specifically designed for vehicles even without a roof rack installed.
- It has a capacity of 15 cubic feet
- The bag can be attached to the vehicle through different methods
- The carrier is designed for strong water resistance.
- The product lacks durability
8. RoofPax Car Roof Bag & Rooftop Cargo Carrier
RoofPax Car Roof Top Bag is the biggest and safest cargo carrier bag on the market. Its size is 19 cubic feet with or without a rack. This is the only bag that secures the top carrier with safety door hooks instead of dangerous illegal straps. For extra protection against water, the brand uses 1218d PVC fabric and the carrier is double coated with the water-resistant substance. Made with the best material, this heavy-duty, military grade car roof bag can stand the test of time.
- Offers tons of storage space
- The package includes a TSA Complying Combination Lock
- For extra security at night, it features a light reflecting the logo
- One size can fit almost all SUVs and cars
- Won’t harm door or window seals
- Easy and quick installation
- Offers full protection against snow, sun, wind, and rain
- May not offer full protection against water in heavy run
- May not fit every vehicle
9. Rightline Gear Car Top Duffle Bag
The Rightline Gear Car Top Duffle Bag is a reliable, waterproof gear bag that can be easily strapped to your vehicle roof. You can attach up to 4 Duffle Bags to your car whether you use a roof rack or not. Each bag features a removable shoulder strap that you can store in the zipper side pocket of the bag when not in use. Made from durable PVC coated Mesh, this Car Top Duffle Bag allows excellent traveling efficiency.
- Weighs only 4.1 pounds
- 100 % waterproof with urethane coated zippers, hook hook-&-loop-close zipper cover, and welded seams
- Can be used with any vehicle of any size with or without a roof rack
- The package includes 4 car clips, 2 attachment straps, and a setup guide
- Features a flexible bag and no hard panels. So, you need a flat surface to install it
- The material is a bit stiff
- The strap may make a lot of noise
- The strap may be too complicated for some users
10. Whistler Car Roof Top Cargo Bag
This Car Roof Bag Bundle is 100% waterproof. You don’t need any rack to install it. Plus, the product is non-slip and can be a good choice for any van or SUV. Plus, it’s easy to secure if you follow the included instructions. All you need to do is place the anti-scratch, non-skid pad on the roof of your vehicle. Put all your stuff inside the roof bag and close the zip all the way and then fasten Velcro. Make sure to tug on the straps to find out if they are firmly attached.
- 100 % protection from water
- Made from heavy-duty tarpaulin for extra durability and protection from water
- Features a non-slip, anti-scratch pad
- Has a top-quality 2 feet wide metal buckle straps
- The package includes a storage bag
- Offers a storage space of 15 cubic feet
- The straps are not waterproof
- The strap material is slick
11. Rabbitgoo Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
Rabbitgoo Rooftop Cargo Carrier Car Roof Cargo Bag is an ideal cargo carrier for your camping trip. As far as the capacity goes, it can hold a tent, pillows, air-filling bed, sleeping bags, and two suitcases. After you have packed all these things, the bag will still have some room for more stuff. It can work well for you if you have a car with racks. Plus, it can offer more protection and security when you attach it to racks. Water may get into the bag through the zippers.
- Heavy-duty construction
- Easy to install on your car or SUV roof
- Easy to attach to your vehicle roof racks
- You can flex the soft sides to fit bulky loads
- Waterproof design
- Can be easy to store when not in use
- Offers protection for your cargo against rain, wind, sun, and road grit
- Offers a capacity of 15 cubic feet
- Can be a bit noisy in the wind
- May not be 100 % waterproof
12. Car Top Car Carrier Roof Bag
Often, most storage bags for car roofs claim to be waterproof but they end up ruining your stuff as soon as it starts raining. Made with coated zippers and tarpaulin, this car roof bag offers 100 % waterproof protection. You don’t need to worry about your belongings once packed. There will be no need to worry about mold or dampness. This roof carrier bag is fairly priced and made from durable, heavy-duty tarpaulin. You can use this safe and secure luggage rack bag with roof rack crossbars and side rails.
- Features stronger buckles and longer straps
- Made of heavy-duty coated tarpaulin
- The zippers are coated for 100% protection against water
- Can hold all your belongings
- Easy to install
- It can keep your stuff dry even if rains for 24 hours
- Offers plenty of space
- Can be a bit noisy in the wind
This is the end of this roof bag review article, tackling the top picks of the best rooftop cargo bags available in today’s market. Hope you found it helpful.