For those who love to support their heads, outdoor camping pillows may just be what they need. For good night sleep in the woods, one needs a good mattress or sleeping bag in addition to the pillow. These pillows are not a luxury. They prevent your head, neck, and lumbar area from straining by offering support while also giving you the comfort and the rest you deserve away from home.
||Trekology Ultralight Inflating Camping Pillows||9.6|
||Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow||9.8|
||Coop Home Goods – Adjustable Travel Pillow||9.0|
||TETON Sports Camp Comfortable Pillow||9.4|
||Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow||9.5|
||The Big Blue Mtn Ultralight Inflatable Camping Pillow||9.3|
||Cozy Hut Portable Memory Foam Camping Pillow||9.9|
||Boundary Life Camping Pillows||9.6|
||Leisure Co Ultralight Inflatable Camping Pillow||9.0|
||Compact Technologies Travel Pillow||9.7|
- There are three main types of camping pillows
- What should you consider when purchasing a camping pillow?
- 10 Best Camping Pillows 2021
- Trekology Ultralight Inflating Travel / Camping Pillows – Compressible, Compact, Inflatable, Comfortable, Ergonomic Pillow for Neck & Lumbar Support While Camp, Backpacking (Green.) (Sports)
- Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow for Camping, Backpacking, Airplanes and Road Trips (Sports)
- COOP HOME GOODS – Adjustable Travel and Camping Pillow – Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Fill – Lulltra Washable Cover – Includes Compressible Stuff Sack – CertiPUR-US/GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- TETON Sports Camp Pillow; Great for Travel, Camping and Backpacking; Washable, Grey, 12 x 18 inches ; 9.6 ounces (Sports)
- Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow Compressible Foam Pillows – Use When Sleeping in Car, Plane Travel, Hammock Bed & Camp – Great for Kids – Compact Small, Medium & Large Size – Portable Bag
- TheBigBlueMtn Ultralight Backpacking Inflatable Camping Pillow 2 Pack Set With Lightweight Compact Pouch Sack And Carabiner – Camp Hiking Summit Gear For Beach Sea Travel Hammock (Orange Blue, 2) (Sports)
- Portable Memory Foam Camping Pillow Travel Pillow Ergonomic Sleeping Bed Pillow for Good Night Sleep Cervical Curved Neck Support for Travel Camping Hiking Car Seat Plane Lumbar Support16.5LX7.8W
- Boundary Life Camping Pillow for Sleeping | Backpacking Pillows for Hiking | Comfort in a Hammock or for Travel | Large Inflatable Pillow for Adjustable Lumbar Support in Airplane or Car
- Leisure Co Ultralight Inflatable Camping Pillow – Soft Jersey Cotton with Lofted Cushion Layer for Comfort – Compressible and Easy to Inflate Air Pillows – Perfect for Camp Trips, Hiking, Backpacking (Sports)
- Compact Travel Pillow Made with Shredded Memory Foam and Super Soft Fleece Fabric for Ultimate Comfort in Travel. Patented Design Rolls and Compacts Small for Travel. (Kitchen)
There are three main types of camping pillows
- Camping inflatable pillows. Also known as camping blow-up pillows are the go-to option for backpackers and minimalists since they fold compact into a small size that can fir inside the palms. These pillows are designed with a valve or two through which air is blown into or let out of the pillows to inflate and deflate them respectively.
- Stuffable camping pillows. These types of pillows are made with shredded foam, memory foam, synthetic, cotton, or other types of filling on the inside.
- Compressible pillows. These types of camping pillows resemble normal pillows. However, they are not adjustable. They are typically larger than inflatable pillows and will vary in firmness depending on your preference. The lighter pillows will offer more comfort than support while the larger heavier ones will deliver better support. These pillows are not very popular among backpackers because they are bulky.
What should you consider when purchasing a camping pillow?
- Weight and size. If you will be camping somewhere near your vehicle, the weight of the pillow shouldn’t matter so much since you will not carry it around frequently. Weight comes into play when you are backpacking. You wouldn’t want an extra heavy load on top of what you are already carrying which makes the small camping pillows a good option.
- Waterproof ability. If you will be camping in wet areas or wet weather, consider having a pillow with a waterproof cover or a waterproof stuff sack to prevent your pillow from getting wet.
- Cover material. Some popular fabrics used include cotton, linen, polyester, rayon, nylon, and fleece. Ideally, the fabric used to cover the pillow should be non-slip, soft to the skin
- Loft. The loft of a pillow refers to its height. While some people will be comfortable with a high loft, others prefer a lower loft. Generally, stomach sleepers prefer a lower loft and the side and back sleepers a medium-high loft. Some pillows, like the inflatable ones, are adjustable in height.
10 Best Camping Pillows 2021
Our review compiles some of the best camping pillows you’ll find in the market. They are supportive, comfortable, and easy to use.
1. Trekology Ultralight Inflating Camping Pillows
Folded, you’ll be surprised at just how compact this camping pillow is, fitting right inside your palm and easy to carry around in your backpack. Yet, it will serve the very function it was manufactured for quite effectively. At 5 x 2 inches when compact and 16 x 12 x 4 inches when inflated, this pillow will not compromise your comfort in any way.
This camping pillow features an ergonomic design which curves around your head and neck to offer excellent support while laying down in any position. It also doubles up as lumbar area support if you choose to use it while seated. What makes it the best travel pillow is that the pressure inside can be adjusted to suit your comfort needs.
It is made of a blend of polyester at 80 % and elastic water resistant TPU at 20 % and is quite lightweight weighing only 0.17 lb.
- Easy to use
- Versatile can be used while seated or in a sleeping position
- Compact and lightweight
- Inflation valve affected by extreme weather
2. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow
Therm-a-rest travel pillow is an excellent option for both travel and camping. Made of foam filling with a brushed polyester cover, this pillow happens to be one of the most comfortable, warm, and soft to the skin.
It also folds down to a small size to fit into your backpack thanks to the drawstring and lock cord that secures it in place when folded. When released, this pillow expands to 4 inches in thickness to deliver the maximum head, neck, and back support. However, other sizes including medium, large, and extra-large sizes are available in case you need something bigger. It is also available in different color and pattern options.
Overall it is a lightweight pillow weighing just 0.9 lb. It is machine washable using the gentle setting and then tumble dry it to fluff it up.
- Compresses into a small size for easy travel.
- Takes some time to dry after washing
- May absorb sweat and get wet in hot places
3. Coop Home Goods – Adjustable Travel Pillow
This pillow is as cozy as the other travel pillows in Coop’s line of products. Featuring shredded memory foam stuffing covered with Coop’s very own Lulltra Fabric which is made from 40 % viscose-rayon derived from bamboo and 60 % polyester fabric. This gives it excellent breathability property and a cozy feel without compromising the support it gives to your head, neck, and back.
This pillow can be adjusted in firmness to accommodate different situations and sleeping positions. Simply add or remove the foam inside it to get your desired firmness. It compresses easily to size 10 x 6 inches, which is about half its size when unfolded and weighs only 2.25 lb, making it quite portable for convenient travel. Its package includes a waterproof stuff sack in which you’ll pack your pillow when compressed.
This camping pillow comes with CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold safety and quality certifications. Machine wash it in the wash cold setting and tumble dry it on the low setting and you’ll be good to go.
- Customizable firmness
- The thermo-regulating cover ensures you do not overheat
- Waterproof stuff sack protects your pillow from weather elements
- This pillow may take some time to dry after washing
4. TETON Sports Camp Comfortable Pillow
Teton Sports has already made a name for its products thanks to its consistent product quality. This pillow stands out among other camping pillows for sale for a number of reasons. First, it is exceptionally soft to the skin thanks to the Brushed P5 poly high count fabric. On the inside is the SuperLoft Elite 4 channel fiber filling which is the same one used in Teton’s sleeping bags. This filling causes Teton Sports camp pillow to loft naturally even after being compressed.
It comes with an envelope like a pillowcase, both of which are easily machine washable to maintain their fresh look and feel. Pack it inside the stuff sack provided and secure it with the barrel-lock drawstring integrated into the sack. This pillow is available in 4 colors.
- Soft to the skin and doesn’t get wet from sweat or other liquids
- Lofts on its own
- This pillow is not firm and so not the best option for those looking for firmness
- The stuff sack is not waterproof
5. Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow
Wise Owl’s camping pillow features memory-like foam filling on the inside and a soft microfiber suede cover on the outside to give your skin the warmth and comfort that it deserves while still delivering maximum support to your head and neck. It can be compressed down into less than half its size to fit into the water-resistant stuff sack and then secured with a drawstring for convenient travel.
Wise Owl pillows for camping are 4 inches in thickness and they come in three sizes; the small one which measures 12 x 16 inches, the medium measures 14 x 18 inches, and the large measures 16 x 23 inches. This pillow comes in five color options and is machine washable.
- The outer cover is soft and comfortable
- The 4 inches loft is good for side and back sleepers
- Variety of sizes
- The 4 inches loft may not be ideal for stomach sleepers
6. The Big Blue Mtn Ultralight Inflatable Camping Pillow
Unlike other foam pillows, the Big Blue Mtn camping pillow is inflatable. This gives it the advantage of reducing into a very small, light packable size for easy travel. It weighs just 0.6 lb making it a great hiking companion. This camping pillow features an effective inflate/deflate mechanism using the functional one-way valve which also gives you the flexibility of setting own firmness. When fully inflated, the Big Blue Mtn camping pillow offers you an ample surface area at 17 x 12 x 4 inches hence maximum support for your head and neck.
This camping pillow features the brushed polyester & TPU cover which is smooth and stretchy while the bottom has been made nonslip especially for people using it for support while seated. The cover comes in a variety of colors so you can choose your favorite. Its package includes a small 5 x 2.5 inches stuff bag with a carabiner handle/closure.
- Larger pillow surface for head and neck support
- Flexible, allows you to inflate to your desired firmness
- The damaged valve may cause air to escape leaving the pillow deflated
7. Cozy Hut Portable Memory Foam Camping Pillow
This camping pillow by Cozy Hut is made of premium memory foam inner, the plush breathable velour outer cover along with an additional inner cover whose function is to facilitate absorption of fluids to keep you cool and comfortable throughout your use. It features an ergonomic design that contours around your head or lumbar to deliver maximum support without compromising comfort. This has earned it some great.
This pillow measures 16.5 inches (L) x 7.8 inches (W) x 5.1 inches (H) but will pack down to nearly half its size to fit inside the provided stuff sack. An advantage it offers is that even after being compressed, it will still retain its shape.
This pillow’s covers are machine washable
- Very supportive
- The absorbent cover keeps you cool and dry
- Not waterproof
- May be too firm if you are looking for something mushy
8. Boundary Life Camping Pillows
This inflatable camping pillow by Boundary Life is the inflatable type. It comes integrated with an innovative two-click valve system which lets you inflate and deflate the pillow either steadily or in one go to allow you to achieve the perfect firmness. This makes it a good option if you have a sleeping bag, hammock or a blanket.
This pillow inflates to 17 inches (w) x 11 inches (L) x 4.5 inches (H), giving your head ample space and excellent support. It then deflates into a small lightweight unit at just 1.7 lb to fit into the included stuff bag, making it a good option for traveling.
It features an ergonomic design that curves around your head and shoulders. It also doubles as a lumbar support in case you need to use it while seated. The ultra-soft blend of TPU and polyester cover is not only absorbent but also smooth and cozy on your face.
- Effective valve mechanism
- Compact and lightweight
- Small damage on the cover may cause leakage of air from the pillow
9. Leisure Co Ultralight Inflatable Camping Pillow
This inflatable pillow by Leisure Co is as comfortable as your home pillow. Made of soft brush cotton cover with absorbent synthetic padding underneath, you will never get drenched in sweat. The top layer is made of durable polyester. This cover is super absorbent, breathable, and quite comfortable. It comes with four color options allowing you to get your preference.
It is perhaps the lightest in weight weighing a mere 0.25 lb and packs down to a small 5 x 3 x 3 inches in size making it portable and convenient for any form of travel. When inflated, this pillow measures 14 x 10 x 4 inches to provide ample head space and support. Thanks to its inflation mechanism, this camping pillow inflates fast and easy. Cleaning is equally easy. Simply hand or machine wash and you are good to go.
- Offers ample space for your head
- Easy to inflate or deflate
- Not the best for sitting or face-up sleeping position
10. Compact Technologies Travel Pillow
This travel pillow from Compact Technologies features shredded memory foam filling along with soft fleece covering on its outside. This makes it not just soft and comfortable on the skin but also cozily warm in cold weather. The shredded filling is neither firm nor too yielding. It conforms to the shape of your head and is incredibly comfortable. It can also double up as a lumbar pillow when used while seated.
This pillow measures 17 x 10.5 x 5 inches. It compresses into a small size and is secured by the integrated drawstring when you need to clip it on your backpack when on the move.
- Moderately firm and supportive
- Comfortable and soft on the skin
- Takes a long time to fully dry when the memory foam absorbs water during washing
- The cover is not removable therefore forcing you to wash the whole pillow. However, you can purchase a pillowcase to protect it from dirt.
Camping pillows are slightly different from camping travel pillows. The latter, typically smaller and ergonomic, are designed for people in transit to offer them maximum support when seated. Camping pillows, on the other hand, are best for campers but have often been used as travel pillows. Beyond this difference, it is not enough to go through travel pillows reviews to make your choice. Walk into the dealership to have a feel of these pillows and ask questions before your purchase.