There is no doubt that camping can be a fun and economical way of taking a vacation. You can use this opportunity to teach your kids some important life skills while at the same time having fun in the outdoors. One of the important decisions you will make to make when preparing for your camping tips is the choice of the best family tents.
||Ozark Trail 12-Person 3 Room Instant Cabin Tent||8.2|
||CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent||8.9|
||CORE 9 Person Extended Dome Tent||8.2|
||Coleman 8-Person Elite Montana Tent||8.5|
||Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent||8.5|
||Browning Camping Big Horn Tent||8.8|
||Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Car Camping Tent||9.1|
||Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent||9.6|
||Timber Ridge Large Family Camping Tent||9.5|
- How to choose the best family tent for camping?
- Top 9 picks of the best family tent for the money
- Ozark Trail 16×16-Feet 12-Person 3 Room Instant Cabin Tent with Pre-Attached Poles (Misc.)
- CORE 9P Instant Cabin (Green) (Sports)
- CORE 9 Person Extended Dome Tent (Orange) (Sports)
- Coleman 8-Person Tent for Camping | Elite Montana Tent with Easy Setup (Sports)
- Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent, Blue (Sports)
- Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent (Sports)
- Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent, Black (Sports)
- Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent with Screen Room (Sports)
- Timber Ridge Large Family Tent 10 Person 3 Seasons for Camping with Carry Bag and Rain Flysheet, 2 Rooms (Sports)
How to choose the best family tent for camping?
There are several factors to consider when searching for a family tent. These include:
Size of the tent
This will depend mostly on the size of your family. In the recent past, we have seen an improvement in the design and materials of family tents. The size of the best family tent on the market has also increased. There are some massive tents that are available in the market today and these are ideal for families as they got spaces for everyone. However, on the downside, these can be bulky and heavy and therefore, you will want to consider whether you have space for one in your car.
These tents for large families can also take a lot of time to put up and may need a minimum of 2 people to pitch. Before you buy one, it is important to find out whether it is allowed in the area where you plan to put it up as there are some campgrounds where they are not allowed.
Layout and bedroom of the tent
When making a choice of the best family tent for the money, you will want to consider the number of bedrooms that you will need rather than the number of people who can be accommodated by the tent. When you find a tent that has a high number of bedrooms, it will also have more storage space, a key camping aspect. The tent manufacturers are required to conform to standards requiring them to indicate the number of people who can sleep in the tent.
Room for younger children
In case you have a young baby, you need to find a tent where the bedroom of the dad and mum is next to yours and the divider between the bedrooms is able to unzip. This will enable you to put the infant to sleep without the disturbance of the other family members. The ability to unzip the divider can also be quite important as you can easily check your baby or put them back to sleep without having to leave your sleeping bag. The 4 people 2 bedroom tent can be a great choice for a family of 4. However, as the children grow older or if you have a minimum of 3 children, you will need a tent that has more bedrooms.
Tents can get really warm during the hot weather. This is why it is important to choose one that has a temperature moderator as this will help to turn down the heat. These also act as a barrier to the sun and help to keep the entire tent cooler. This will also reduce the effects of the UV light and the falling tree sap.
Duration of your trip
You will want to consider the period of time that you will be on the campground as this will affect the style and size of the best family tents that you choose. Consider also the level of comfort that you need. Are you ready to compromise on the living space and have a bigger sleeping space? If you plan to be camping during the kinder weather, there are chances that you will be outdoors most of the time.
This can be an important consideration as it will help to prevent the build-up of condensation. A good tent will have a lot of ventilation points. The best waterproof family tent has been designed to prevent rain from getting in. It should also have a full mosquito net door as it will enable air to circulate. This can help in keeping out the insects.
Top 9 picks of the best family tent for the money
1. Ozark Trail 12-Person 3 Room Instant Cabin Tent
If you are searching for an over 10 person family tent, the Ozark Trail 16 x 16-Feet 12-Person 3 Room Instant Cabin Tent with Pre-Attached Poles is the right choice for you. Despite its huge size, it is easy to set up the tent as no assembly is required.
The outdoor family tent comes with poles that are pre-attached to the tent and all you need to do is to unfold it before extending. The large multi-room tent has fully sealed seams that enable camping in dry zones and offers protection from leaks.
- Huge enough to sleep 12 and fit 3 queen airbeds
- Power outlet where you can plug the tent
- Very comfortable to get in and out
- Front awning to enable you to relax outside
- 2 internal room dividers
- Tall enough to allow you to stand comfortably
- Huge ground vent to keep you cool
- The vent in the awning allows rain to get inside
2. CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent
This is another large family tent that can accommodate up to 9 people in sleeping bags. It is also easy to set up and should not take you more than 10 minutes. On top of the usual room dividers, it has all storage pockets that keep your items neat above the ground.
This is among the extra large family camping tents that come with an electrical cord access port that is closable when not being used. It comes with carrying bag, tent stakes, and rain fly.
- Easy to set up and bring down
- Removable rain fly that is waterproof
- Detachable room divider
- Vents damp air out
- Able to hold up well against storms
- Center posts don’t touch the ground when the tent is up
3. CORE 9 Person Extended Dome Tent
This is among the best family tents for bad weather as it can sleep up to 9 persons. It comes with an adjustable family vent. It has pockets that can help to keep your items organized. The fact that it is made of polyester means it is also quite long lasting. It also has an electrical cord access port that is closeable when the cord is not in use.
This is among the best tents for family camping that have a removable rain fly. The mesh ceiling with still gives you an excellent view of the environment when it is raining. The water block technology uses seals from the rain fly down to the floor to ensure that the water stays out.
- Very spacious
- High tech venting
- Easy to set up and take down
- Able to withstand thunderstorms without any leaks
- Keeps you dry in the rain
- The zipper on the door doesn’t run very smoothly
4. Coleman 8-Person Elite Montana Tent
If you are searching for a large camping tent with rooms, the Coleman 8-Person Tent is the right option for you. It is a spacious tent that can comfortably fit 3 queen size beds. The door awnings are extended to keep the gear and your shoes dry. It has hinged doors and this helps to easily access it. The tent measures 16 x 7 feet and has a center height of 6-foot 2-inches.
This is the best 6 person tent if you would like to be comfortable without getting on top of each other. If you fit more than 6 persons plus your luggage, you may not be comfortable.
- Very roomy
- No need for extra rain seal
- Tall enough to enable you to stand inside
- Affordable price
- very easy to set up
- Ventilation is not very good
5. Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
If you are searching for a huge family tent, this is just but the right tent for you. It has a huge front awning for weather protection, zipper windows, a rain fly, carry bag and mesh roof vents. It is easy to set up the tent and one adult is enough.
There is a separate storage/living area from the sleeping area. This can prove important for those who would like to keep their sleeping spaces clean. It has waterproofed seams.
- Good design
- Lots of instructions
- Well designed windows
- Easy to set up and bring it down
- Walls of the tent easily wrinkle
- Quite heavy for backpacking
- Dark colored rain fly makes it hot during the day
6. Browning Camping Big Horn Tent
This is among the family camping tents that have a free-standing design. It comes with steel uprights and fiberglass poles that ensure extra support and strength. It has a big doorway, mesh roof and 6 windows that ensure easy entry and great ventilation.
It also has a mesh storage pocket, steel stakes, guy ropes, and polyester fly. It has a base size of 10 x 15 Feet and a height of 87 meters. The family size tent has a center that is extra tall, all diver and straight walls for 2 rooms to provide the maximum space. The tent for a family of 5 has the following pros and cons:
- Has a unique hub design with 2 rooms
- Comes with 2 large doors
- Good protection from the weather
- 2 large doors and interior pouches
- A mesh top under the ran fly and is therefore cold
7. Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Car Camping Tent
This is among the family camping tents that have spacious designs. It can comfortably sleep, 8 people. It has a divider that allows you to create 3 separate rooms. The big family camping tent measures 17 x 10 Feet and has a center height of 6 meters.
It is easy to set up the tent and it can be packed away with some separate bags that should be included for the pole and tent.
- Inverted seams that are able to resist the weather
- A strong frame that can withstand storms
- A zipper protection
- Very spacious
- Easy to setup
- Seam comes apart easily
- One window at the back and one at the front attached to the hinged door
8. Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent
This is a camping tent for 6 persons that come with screen room to allow you to enjoy the outdoors without the bug nuisance. The tent will keep you dry during the rainy season as it uses weather-resistant technology.
The tent has strong frames that are able to withstand strong winds. On top of this, it has angled windows to allow for good ventilation.
- A hinged door that allows for easy coming in and going out
- Very spacious on the inside
- Excellent ventilation control
- Waterproof floors
- Easy to set up and bring down
- Flimsy metal stakes
9. Timber Ridge Large Family Camping Tent
This is among the largest tent for camping and is a great choice for both groups and families. It comes with a D style door that is the perfect choice for easy entry and exit.
It is easy to set up as it has strong fiberglass frames and pole pockets that ensure ease of setup and stability. All these can serve to improve your camping experience.
- Fixing hooks that make it easy to set up
- Can accommodate 10 persons
- Superb ventilation
- Sturdy structure
- Great design
- Comes with a one year warranty
- Room divider doesn’t reach the top
- Sways a lot in windy weather
One thing that is clear is that that camping is good for your wellbeing and health. There is no better way to get rid of the stresses of modern life than going to the countryside for a few days. In order to do that enjoyable, you will need to pick a tent that will meet your budget and camping need.
Your choice of the best 10 person tent will determine the kind of camping experience you should expect. By going through this guide, it will be possible for you to make the right choice of a family tent with porch.