As an RV owner looking for an electric step, your desire when visiting a shop is to get the best product, but where do you start? There are many brands and not to mention models of electric RV steps in the market today. And even more confusing is they all seem to compete favorably.
||Kwikee 372261 Classic 32 Series Step Assembly||9.5|
||Kwikee 3658373 Classic 25 Series (8″ Rise) Step||9.9|
||Lippert Components 353542 24″ Single Treadlite Power RV Step||9.6|
||Stromberg Carlson SMFP-1120 Manual Coach Steps||9.1|
||Stromberg Carlson SMFP-3100 Manual Coach Steps||9.4|
Each brand has its own unique features which makes it better than the other. You will be easily convinced that each RV step is the best especially if it’s your first time buying it. It’s no strange to get confused and end up settling for a wrong product that will not serve the intended purpose. Don’t fret though. We got your back. In this guide, we will help you get some basic understanding of electric steps for RV. We have also shared a buying guide to help you pick the most important features and reviewed some of the best electric steps for RVs. Our review is independent and all products have been expertly tested and analyzed. Let’s get going!
- Benefits of electric steps and stairs for RVs
- Buying guide
- Best Electric (Power) Steps and Stairs for RVs 2021
- Kwikee 372261 32 Series Double Tread Electric Step (Automotive)
- 25 Series (8″ Rise) Step Assembly with Logic Control Unit and Power Switch Kit (Automotive)
- Lippert Components 353542 24″ Single Treadlite Power RV Step with Switch and Harness (Automotive)
- Stromberg Carlson SMFP-1120 Manual Coach Steps by Flexco – 20″ Single, 7.5″ Drop (Automotive)
- Stromberg Carlson SMFP-3100 Manual Coach Steps by Flexco – 24″ Triple, 8″ Rise (Automotive)
Benefits of electric steps and stairs for RVs
- Since electrical steps are completely automated, they roll out every time you open the door. This gets rid of the chances of you having to get out of the van in order to remove and fold the steps, as it is with manual ones, thus saving you time and reduces chances of you being exposed to fatal injuries associated with fixing and removing steps.
- Often the doors to RVs end up getting broken as a result of the vehicle moving even when the user has forgotten to fold the steps back. This is not the case with electric RV steps because they retract automatically as soon as you close the van door. You do not have to worry about picking up the portable steps every time you want to drive off.
- Electric RV steps form part of your RV since they are permanently installed in your vehicle. Their visibly sleek designs and technology usually add to the overall aesthetic of the vehicle while maintaining safety and comfort at all times.
- Electric RV steps come with a non-skid surface, offering a better grip and prevents skidding on the steps especially when you are in a hurry. This added feature comes in handy especially when traveling with kids of the elderly.
Electric steps for motor homes are often exposed to harsh weather conditions and therefore frequently subjected to wear. As an RV owner, the cost of replacing RV steps every time can be daunting and expensive. This right here is a top reason why you need to get good quality steps that last long and can withstand the harsh conditions. Here are some factors to consider when buying electric steps for your RV:
Durability is the length of time an RV step can remain intact without wear. The durability is often determined by the material used to make the step. Steps made from aluminum are known to be rust-resistant as compared to those made from steel. However, steel steps are very strong and sturdy and can last long if painted well. Always check on the durability of the RV steps. Most electric steps do retract into RV’s body hence they remain shielded from harsh conditions.
To fully enjoy your vacation, space is important to ensure you fit all the gear you need for the trip. The less your RV is clustered the better. Therefore, you need steps that will not take up space when you decide to hit the road. Electric RV steps retract and disappear beneath the caravan chassis with a press of a button. This leaves more free storage space in your RV.
Ease of use
You need to go for electric steps that are simple and easy to operate. Electric steps are usability friendly. Some top-of-the-line electric steps come with automatic self-leveling and electrical steadiness as additional features. All you would be required is to press a button when your RV is parked. These introduce a whole world of convenience to the users.
Always look out for additional features that would bring with them more comfort and safety. Electric steps that come with lights make it more convenient to get into and out of your RV during the night. With the lights on, the user is assured not to miss a step due to the darkness of the night. Additionally, the non-skid surface feature would help to prevent falls due to slipperiness (we know we can’t predict the weather when RVing).
Best Electric (Power) Steps and Stairs for RVs 2021
1. Kwikee 372261 Classic 32 Series Step Assembly
This is a two-step auto-retracting RV stairs that are fitted to an RV to help ease entry or exit. The Kwikee 372261 Classic 32 Series step features an automatic control system that is made up of a motor, logic control unit, and a power switch kit. The motor receives a signal from the switch kit and will automatically extend or retract the steps based on the RVs door position. When the RV door is open, the steps will extend and open; and close and retract when the door is shut.
Additionally, the step has a shutdown feature that automatically shuts down when the step strikes an obstacle. This step is made up of heavy gauge steel and finished with a black powder-coated finish to give it a pretty shiny look. The steel material is strong and can support weights up to 300 lbs without fracturing or bending. The black coat finish prevents rusting and also ensures the durability of the steps. To prevent short-circuits and corrosion, the connections and wires have been made weatherproof. The step has a 7 inches rise with 24 inches tread. It can be mounted to an RV frame by the aid of a bolt and screw.
Dimensions: 25.2 x 32.2 x 13.6 inches
- Automatic operation
- Very sturdy
- Strong and stable
- They are hard to mount because of its heavy
2. Kwikee 3658373 Classic 25 Series (8″ Rise) Step
Kwikee 3658373 Classic 25 Series (8″ Rise) Step is another series of electric steps from the Kikwee brand power steps. Unlike the Kikwee 372221 class 32 series, this class has a higher rise of 8 inches and features three steps. Designed for strength and durability, it has been ingeniously engineered with the latest design techniques to give a powerful auto-operating step for your RV. The screws and bolts have been replaced with air-pressed rivets. A 12V DC motor has been added to give smooth operation. The stairs are made from heavy gauge steel and finished with a black paint coating and can open and retract automatically.
Kwikee 3658373 Classic 25 Series (8″ Rise) Step comes with a motor, control unit, power switch, and light; and the wire connectors used have been sealed to prevent short circuits. The step remains overhang and can be mounted to an RV frame using screws and bolts. The maximum weight bearing capacity is 300 lbs.
Dimension: 29 x 19 x 14 inches
- Automatic operation
- Strong and stable
- Comes with a motor and control unit
- Its heavy hence may require two or three persons to lift
3. Lippert Components 353542 24″ Single Treadlite Power RV Step
Lippert Components 353542 24″ Single Treadlite Power RV Step with Switch and Harness is an automatic lightweight RV stare made to give you a hassle-free climb to your vehicle. This one step stair enjoys the latest mechanical upgrades which give it a fast open and retract capabilities with more stability than any other power steps in the market. To add to the latest features, the tread lite step has incorporated obstruction sensing technology. It will automatically retract when the step hits an obstacle.
The new stylish design and sleek appearance will give your RV an instant luxurious look. This step is made of aluminum meaning it is lightweight and more superior to its steel counterpart. The overall weight is 19 pounds less than steel steps. Additionally, Aluminum is resistant to rust and it holds elements better than steel hence you are guaranteed a long-lasting product. To open and close the steps manually, you will press the magnetic switch.
Dimensions: 25.5 x 18.2 x 6.5 inches
- fast open and retract capabilities
- The step has incorporated obstruction sensing technology
- Dual operation (manual and electric)
- The magnetic switch will sometimes stick and you will need to tap
4. Stromberg Carlson SMFP-1120 Manual Coach Steps
This is a 20 inches wide single step with a rise of 7.5 inches. The Stromberg Carlson SMFP-1120 Manual Coach Steps by Flexco is a universal type of power step that can replace any type of step in the market. The short rise helps solve navigation issues for those with limited mobility. This step can be fitted to an RV with an aid of bolt and screws. The steps can extend and retract. On retract, it collapses into the RV’s body thus reducing drag when traveling.
One good thing about this step is that it is non-skid and wide enough to step on without worry about sliding. The holes on the help steps drain water away. When installed the steps will hang close to the ground. The steps are easy to install and extremely sturdy.
Dimensions: 26 x 12 x 9 inches
- Extremely sturdy
- Wider steps for greater stability
- Non-skid surface
- Collapses into RV’s body
- Hangs down too low, may require adjustments.
5. Stromberg Carlson SMFP-3100 Manual Coach Steps
This RV steps by Stromberg Carlson have 24-inch step width and a 7.5-inch rise. It features three steps that are made from strong steel. The steps are extremely sturdy and quick to install. The final color coating prevents rusting and corrosion of the steps. This RV steps can open and close smoothly. They retract back to the RV’s body when closed and hung, not touching the ground when opened. To fit this step an RV, you will have to perfectly align the mounting holes of the step and that of an RV then tighten using a bolt. You can do greasing at the joints to ease the movement of parts.
This product has an anti-slip feature. The holes on the step surface play two roles: increasing traction to avoid slipping and draining water from steps. In case these steps fail to fit your RV, you can do adjustments and small modifications by yourself.
Dimensions: 29 x 19 x 13 inches
- Easy to adjust and modify
- Anti-slip surface to prevent slipping
- Easy installation
- Coated to prevent rusting and corrosion
- Collapses into RV’s body
- Hard to open and close as pivot points in the construction are metal on metal with no washers
Electric steps are so much convenient, you can’t even compare with manual steps. And even though they are pricier, convenience and luxury are no doubt worth paying for. In our review, we have tried as much as we can to get you the most affordable electric steps without compromising on quality, functionality, and durability. We guarantee you that you won’t regret picking any of the steps. We can confidently say they are the best electric steps and stairs for RV.