It is important to clean your RV’s sewer system to maintain hygiene as well as have a smooth functioning RV. Blackwater tanks are also known as holding tanks or waste tanks and are an essential part of an RV. Having the best RV holding tank treatment is necessary for any trip. It helps in managing your septic tank properly ensuring that tissue and waste are broken down thus preventing clogs as well as making your recreational vehicle’s bathroom free of any foul smell or doors.
||Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment- 64 Treatments||9.4|
||Camco TST Orange 30 Pack Ultra-Concentrated Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment||9.1|
||Aqua-Kem RV holding tank treatment||9.3|
||Camco 41604 RV Toilet Max Treatment Drop-Ins||9.4|
||Unique RV Digest-IT Holding Tank Treatment||9.2|
||TankTechsRx- RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner||9.8|
||Camco 41197 TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Scent Toilet treatment||9.2|
||Unique 20 Pack RV Digest-it Holding Tank Treatment Drop-in Pod||9.3|
||Valterra Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator||9.2|
Today we are going to look at the types holding tanks treatments available. We are also going to look at how to select the best RV holding tank treatment to help you choose from our selection.
- Types of holding tank treatments
- Benefits of RV holding tank treatments
- Buying guide
- Best RV Holding Tank Treatments 2023
- Happy Campers RV Holding Tank Deodorizer Treatment – 64 treatments (Automotive)
- Camco TST MAX Camper/RV Toilet Treatment Drop-INs | Control Unwanted Odors & Break Down Waste and Tissue | Safe Septic Tank Treatment | Orange Scent, 30-Pack (41183) (Automotive)
- Thetford Waste Holding Tank Treatment, 1 Gallon, White (Automotive)
- Camco TST MAX Camper/RV Toilet Treatment Drop-INs | Control Unwanted Odors & Break Down Waste and Tissue | Safe Septic Tank Treatment | Hibiscus Breeze Scent | 30-Count (41604) (Automotive)
- Unique RV Digest-It Black Water Tank Treatment – Concentrated Liquid RV Toilet Treatment – Eliminates Odor, Liquifies Waste, Prevents Sensor Misreading, CA Approved (32 oz.) (Automotive)
- TankTechsRx – RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner – 33.8 ounce = 68 treatments – All Natural Probiotics for RV, marine, camping, portable toilets (Automotive)
- Camco TST MAX RV Toilet Treatment | Features a Biodegradable Septic Safe Formula, Comes in an Orange Citrus Scent, and is Ideal for RVing, Boating, and More | 1-Gallon (41197) , 128 Fl Oz (Pack of 1) (Automotive)
- Unique RV Digest-It Black Water Tank Treatment – Concentrated Drop In Pods RV Toilet Treatment – Eliminates Odor, Liquifies Waste, Prevents Sensor Misreading, CA Approved (20 Pods) (Automotive)
- Valterra – V23128 Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator – 128-Ounce Bottle (Automotive)
Types of holding tank treatments
Although there are several RV holding tank treatment methods that one can use, they must be environmentally friendly. Some of the most popular methods are:
Most liquid treatments break up waste without introducing harmful chemicals to the environment. This is because they are chemical-free, biodegradable enzyme formulas. They are used after cleaning your tank. You simply mix it with some water then flush your toilet. You will need to check the bottle though to know the measuring instructions to get the best results after use.
These treatments include pouches, scoopable additives, and tablets. With the drop-in treatments, the user needs to neither measure and mix nor worry about spills as is the case with liquid treatments.
Benefits of RV holding tank treatments
- The chemicals used dissolve most of what is in the holding tank thus preventing clogs.
- Deodorizers usually get rid of odors from your bathroom, leaving your RV fresh and free of the horrible smell of waste.
- Some specific liquid treatments remove buildup from your RV tank sensors thus improving tank readings.
Settling on the best RV holding tank treatment goes a long way in sustaining your sewage system and your toilet’s quality as well as safety. Therefore, some of the important factors that you need to consider include:
Do your research to find out the general makeup of the treatment product beforehand. Settle on one that has no dangerous chemicals in its formation. Furthermore, you need to consider an eco-friendly product. You have to be considerate of mother nature for your grandkid’s sake.
Settle on a treatment product that you would not need to apply daily or weekly. The best option should allow you to go for at least a month guaranteeing you that your black or grey water is free of obstructions as well as bad smells.
Ease of use
Consider the ease and convenience of use the product offers. Avoid those that might leak, giving you additional problems of cleaning-up. Some liquid treatments require complex mixing that might be confusing. Pick a treatment that has a guarantee to deliver consistency to disintegrate disposal and remove odor.
Before using the treatment in your RV holding tank, it is vital to consider whether the brand is compatible with your specific holding tank. This is important to produce the best results.
The ingredients in a treatment differ from product to product although all improve the treatment efficiency. But consider the one that promises additional results such as new fresh smells, non-toxic and friendly to the environment.
Best RV Holding Tank Treatments 2023
1. Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment- 64 Treatments
This top-rated RV holding tank treatment is among the most effective and affordable odor neutralizers on the market. Being odor-free, it eliminates odors in the RV holding tank and leaves no sewer or chemical smell. Its highly concentrated water-activated mineral blend keeps your RV smelling fresh, unlike most chemical deodorant treatments that cover up odor with perfume. This organic product is biodegradable, septic tank friendly, and friendly to the environment as well. It functions like a bioactive treatment or an enzyme but is not affected by residuals or previous treatment chemicals used in the tank.
The treatment is a highly concentrated monohydrate blend of minerals and micronutrients and is not affected by extremely high or low temperatures. Only one scoop of this treatment will treat a 40-gallon black tank and another scoop will treat your grey tank. Unlike enzyme treatments, you do not need to regularly add more treatment before dumping. It is effective in breaking down waste and can also help in eliminating clogs in kitchen sinks and showers without damaging your RV’s plumbing.
- Liquefies waste solids and ordinary household tissue
- Works well in all temperatures
- It is odor-free
- Highly concentrated hence will last you long
- Reasonably priced
- It has a short shelf-life
2. Camco TST Orange 30 Pack Ultra-Concentrated Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment
With an ultra-concentrated formula containing a special chemical, Camco TST Orange drop-ins break down waste and tissue and remove unwanted odor in your black water tank. It contains a blend of citrus-scented surfactant oils that traps unwanted odors in your tank and gives it a fresh citrus scent. It is essential for RV black water holding tanks and safe for septic tanks, portable camping toilets, and for marine use as well. The drop-ins are 100% biodegradable and are not made with Bronopol, hence they do not contain the toxic and harmful formaldehyde. Each container contains 30 drop-ins of this toilet treatment and one drop-in is enough to treat up to a 40-gallon tank.
Using this treatment is very simple. All you need to do is drop one drop-in in your toilet and flush. A single drop-in can control odor in your RV for seven days. It effectively controls odor, unlike most treatments that mask the odor with different scents and is among the best RV holding tank treatments available in the market.
- Has a pleasant fragrance
- Easy to use-just drop it in the toilet and flush
- It is biodegradable
- It does not have a long shelf life.
3. Aqua-Kem RV holding tank treatment
If you are wondering what is the best RV holding tank treatment or confused about which treatment to buy, try Aqua-Kem by Thetford. It is not only functional but also versatile. This holding tank treatment is suited for RVs and boats and is also safe to use in septic tanks. Aqua-Kem is a 3-in-1 product that functions as a deodorant, detergent, and a waste liquifier. It is one of the most powerful deodorants for odor control on the market. As a waste liquefier, it breaks down solid materials, effectively liquefies waste and toilet tissue, and prevents clogging as well. As a detergent, it cleans tank walls and drains lines without damaging them.
It is 100% biodegradable and is efficient in every weather condition. It is, therefore, a very reliable, efficient, and cost-effective way to keep your holding tank clean and fresh.
- A versatile product that performs multiple functions and saves you money.
- Works well in every weather condition.
- 100% biodegradable and safe to use in septic tanks
- It should not be used in very hot environments as it gives off formaldehyde fumes
4. Camco 41604 RV Toilet Max Treatment Drop-Ins
Keep your RV’s bathroom fresh and control unwanted odor with these Camco 41604 pack strength treatment drop-ins. The ultra-concentrated drop-ins contain a blend of lavender-scented surfactant oils that eliminates odor and gives your RV a pleasant scent.
It also breaks down waste and tissue in your black holding tank and is RV and marine approved. The drop-ins are safe for all septic tanks and do not contain pesticides, biocides nor bronopol. A container consists of 30 drop-ins and being highly concentrated, only one is needed to treat up to a 40-gallon tank and keep your toilet fresh with the hibiscus scent for a week. The drop-ins are in a granular form inside a pouch that dissolves in water. To use it, simply fill the toilet bowl with water, place one drop-in in the bowl and flush. It is an effective way to keep away unwanted odor and your RV’s plumbing in good shape.
- Prevents clogging
- Super easy to use
- Keeps the tank clean and smelling great
- Safe to use and does not contain harmful and toxic chemicals
- It is not suitable for portable chemical toilets.
5. Unique RV Digest-IT Holding Tank Treatment
This product by Unique Camping & Marine immediately digests solid waste and all brands of toilet paper. When used regularly over time, it will dissolve heavy sludge and smelly scum built up over the years. It is also effective in controlling and reducing foul odor in the tank. This holding tank treatment cleans level gauges, prevents clogs and maintains optimal wastewater systems. It not only keeps your tank clean but also keeps the sensors working.
The top-rated RV holding tank is eco-friendly and non-toxic. It is safe to use in septic systems and does not contain toxic products like formaldehyde. After buying this product, you will receive an email with instructions on how to maintain a holding tank. These instructions will be very helpful in helping you handle your wastewater system and enjoy it. It is a product of Unique Camping and Marine, a trusted family-owned company that has produced original eco-friendly tank products since 1997.
- Non-toxic and eco-friendly
- Reverses years of neglect and makes your tank durable
- Comes with helpful instructions that help with maintenance
- Controls and reduces foul odor
- It does not work well in very hot weather
6. TankTechsRx- RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner
This holding tank treatment consists of probiotic microorganisms that eliminate odor and is formulated to deal with struvite. Struvite is a cement-hard crystal that coats the walls and corners of the sewer tank as well as the line below the toilet. These crystals build-up are also common on the sensors and are a leading cause of black tank sensor failure. Struvite is rough and porous and hence they trap bacteria that cause a foul odor, hardens toilet paper and slows down the drainage. TankTechRx dissolves this struvite and also inhibits its formation and as a result, it keeps your tank clean and working for a long time.
It is unscented and thus keeps your toilet fresh without deodorants. It is also natural, eco-friendly and does not contain toxic elements like formaldehyde. Half an ounce of this product is enough to treat any tank size as the beneficial bacteria multiplies. It is ideal for black, grey and galley tanks and a perfect choice for those who want to maintain their wastewater system.
- Eliminates bad odor and struvite
- Unscented and thus it has no overpowering perfume smell
- Helps with unclogging and maintenance of the tank
- Environmentally friendly and non-toxic
- It requires a lot of water
7. Camco 41197 TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Scent Toilet treatment
This ultra-concentrated RV toilet treatment contains a powerful citrus formula that effectively eliminates odor and gives your toilets a fresh citrus scent. It is formaldehyde-free and non-toxic and is therefore safe to use in your RV as well as in septic tanks. Camco 41197 TST, like other Camco toilet treatment products, is a top-rated RV holding tank treatment that not only controls foul odor but also helps break down waste and tissue. 2 ounces of this treatment can treat up to 40 gallons of water. It is non-staining and easy to use as it requires no mixing or preparation. Its sweet citrus fragrance is not too strong, unlike most deodorants.
- Works well in all temperatures
- Effectively eliminates odor and cleans sensors
- Reasonably priced
- Formaldehyde-free safe
- Highly concentrated
- Comes ready to use, no mixing or preparation
- The bottle is thin and flimsy.
8. Unique 20 Pack RV Digest-it Holding Tank Treatment Drop-in Pod
This multipurpose holding tank treatment by Unique is among the best RV holding tank treatments in the market. It not only eliminates odor, but it also maintains sensors and digests solid waste in low-water-use applications. It comes in a convenient pod that makes it easy to use. You, therefore, do not have to worry about measuring or touching it. Simply place the pod in your toilet then flush, and it will effectively digest waste and keep your bathroom fresh.
While most products deal with foul odor by masking it with a pleasant fragrance, RV-Digest completely eliminates this odor in black and grey tanks using the perfect bacteria-enzyme blend. It works fast to digest waste and prevents clogging. It is non-toxic, safe to use and uses the most advanced, strongest and best probiotic-enzyme strains available. In addition, this treatment works at any temperature and goes to work immediately unlike other products that work slowly. You can, therefore, enjoy your travel comfortably with a clean tank and with no unwanted odor.
- Suitable for extreme heat climates and dry camping
- Quickly eliminates odor without the use of strong deodorants
- Formaldehyde-free and safe to use
- Works immediately.
- It is too slow at dissolving
9. Valterra Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator
This product by Valterra serves as a great septic system cleaner and an effective waste digester as well as an odor eliminator for your RV, trailer, camper or boat. It liquefies all waste and toilet paper for easy draining and is fit for use in gray or black water tans. This treatment is also 100% natural and safe for children and pets as well. It is approved for all emptying in any dump station and accepted at all campgrounds and RV parts.
Pure Power Blue is a highly concentrated bio-active product and has been scientifically proven to instantly control odor in all temperatures. It consists of a powerful mixture of enzymes and bacteria that keeps the holding tank fresh and clean. It uses only 2 ounces per treatment in both black and gray tanks which quickly breaks down waste, grease, toilet paper and soap scum in these tanks. Ensure that you shake well before use and flush each treatment with 1 gallon of water. Also, avoid using other chemical treatments when using Pure Power Blue.
- All-natural and safe for children and pets
- Works instantly and in all temperatures
- Helps with clogging and is a great maintenance product.
- A couple of ounces can work for weeks.
- It has an overwhelming fragrance that some find too strong
Investing in the right RV holding tank treatment is vital in ensuring that not only are you safe in your recreational vehicle for a more appropriate time but also enjoy your stay, free from clogs in your septic system as well as bad smells that might make it uncomfortable for you and your guests. With all the holding treatment options available, you need not worry anymore about how to clean your tank on your own anymore. Lucky for you, we have already narrowed down the best tank treatments for you. You only have to pick the best option and get going.